Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Bake Shop Talk

Hello Friends,

So I was in this little bake shop yesterday (baby needed some no-bake cookies:)). I was waiting on my order when I couldn't help over hear a conversation that was taking place at the table in front of me. Seated at this table were 4 ladies in their late sixties, early seventies. What I expected to hear was talk that included, "So I saw the grandkids this weekend," or "I loved that quilt you made for the church benefit dinner" or "Did you hear Marge's husband passed away yesterday." You know, the stereotypical conversation of older ladies. Not today! These ladies were talking football-college football! And I loved it. I sat there listening to them talk about Oklahoma State's defense during the Texas Tech game and the match up between OU and Texas Tech coming up in a few weeks. They even threw in there votes for this year's Heisman race.

They called my name to pick up my order and I did not want to get up-heck, I wanted a little piece of the seventy year old action, but the baby won this battle. As I got back in my car and was satisfying my (I mean the baby) craving, I couldn't help but smile from ear to ear. I was reminded of what a great game football is and how awesome sports can be, in general. I know we get so bogged down with the ups and downs of sports as coaching families, but I want to remind ourselves of what great games they really are. Our husbands got into this profession for the love of the game. We need to remind them and ourselves of that.

Sports is the one thing that transcends all age boundaries . It is the one thing that you can talk to your grandpa (or grandma) about and it not be awkward. It is the one thing that can bring a family together after Thanksgiving dinner. And it is the one thing that is talked about from TV to Radio to the coffee shop to the bake shop.
SPORTS!! Got to LOVE it!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this conversation. It is the one thing us Coaches wives can talk to our Male couterparts about. I know so much about the game of football, I feel alot of the time I've played my share of downs. I would of loved to sit there and listen to that converstation. It brings you back to reality a little bit. There is something for all of us ladies to look forward to in our future. I want to be one of them.