Thursday, September 10, 2015

Emotional Attached to God: Study of Psalms

Ok, so I am just gonna lay it out there...I am an emotional being. Sometimes I try to play it off as passionate, but lets be real ladies: I am emotional!
I am emotional about my husband. I am emotional about my kids. I am emotional about my job. I emotional about my husband's job.  I am emotional about my sisters, parents, neices, nephews, friends, and while we are just putting it all out there, I am emotional about every military "come home video",  walk-on football players getting scholarships, and every celebrity video rendition of "how great thou art". I don't half hearted do anything....I am emotional about everything.
And for the longest time, I thought this was such a negative quality of mine. I would try so hard not to do the "emotional girl" thing. Be the tough athlete, competitor type. And it doesn't help when you have the stereotypical emotional comments that we girls get:
"She must have her monthly visitor today"
"Stop making emotional deisions like a girl"
"There's no crying in baseball"

I set out to figure this whole emotional thing out...and ladies, I am super excited about what I am learning. In search of finding out who we are, we must search for the one who created us: God.
Ladies, we are emotional beings! We were created this way by our creator. But guess what? So is God.  God's word teaches us that we were created in His image. We are the emotional being of God.

Hurray!! We are not going crazy! We are not losing it every time our child starts a new school year or when they come home for the summer:)

BUT,  we have to understand that having emotions is not wrong, but when our emotions have us it is

Because we are women and we are emotional, we can become emotional attached to anything that moves and even then somethings that don't.
-It's the reason that our feelings get hurt when we don't get invited with a group of friends...we are emotional attached to friends.
-It's the reason we get so frustrated at our husbands when they don't meet our mental, physical, spiritual, and emotional needs every day....we are emotional attached to our husbands.
-It's the reason we make sure we are at our children's every need protecting them from anything that might hurt them physical, mentally, spiritually, and emotionally...we are emotionally attached to our kids.
-It's the reason why we can cry over fictional characters when the stupid writers with stupid ideas kills one of them off (not bitter at all)...we are emotional attached to tv.

God created us emotional people so that we can be emotionally attached to an emotional God.

Now, I am not saying we cant be emotional attached to people. I am saying that because we are so emotionally attached to people, this can often lead to unmet, unrealisic expectations from people that we should be expecting from God.

Our husbands were never meant to meet our spiritual needs....Jesus is.
Our children were never meant to meet our emotional needs...Jesus is.
Our friends were never meant to meet our mental needs....Jesus is.


Our relationships shouldn't quench our thirsty needs, but should be a living water overflow of our relationship with God.

Emotions are not our weakness, but our vehicle strength to God.

So how do we do this? How do we become emotionally attached to God? What does that look like?
And because I love studying people of the bible, I asked "Who is the most emotional character of the bible?" And without another thought....I knew it was DAvid. The entire book of Psalms is dedicated to every emotion David poured out to God: joy, sadnesss, feelings of betrayal, brokeness, shame, feelings of being overwhelmed etc.
In this study, I have learned that David wrote 73 of the 150 Psalms and 13 of them are directily related to a certain issue he was facing. Will you join me over the next few weeks as week look at all the different emotions David had and what it looks like to be emotionally attached to God?

We will be learning from David's stories so that we can get through ours!!














No comments: