Saturday, September 12, 2015

An Open Letter from a Coach's wife

I have been a part of a coaches family my entire life, first as a coach’s daughter and for the past 17 years, a coach’s wife.  I feel like there are some things people outside this coaching world  need to know about what its like living the lifestyle inside the coaching world. It may be shocking, offensive, or entertaining but it will all be truth.

1) Sports is our Livelihood, but it is NOT our Life.
Yes, sports is how we make a living, but we do not eat, sleep, breathe, or want to talk about it 24-7. It is always funny to me that people find the oddest times to talk about last nights, last  weeks, or  last years game: Bathroom, church pew, vacation. Nobody, even a coach, wants to talk about the 4th quarter play call while they are in the urinal. Sports is not our life, and it shouldn’t be yours either!!!

2) For a coach’s family there is often time sacrifices for team success.
My husband loves this game and works so freaking hard at being the best he can be so that the team can be the best they can be. The watching film on weekends and the 4 nights a week at the field can lead to days the kids and I don’t see our husband/dad. Yet, people can see him for 2 hours on a Friday night and complain publicly, but have no idea what coaches sacrifice privately. Believe it or not…they want to win more than you do!

3) My husband’s job depends solely on what 14-18 year old kids decide to do.
My husband and his staff have to prepare 40 teenagers to play together as one unit despite what might be going on at home, in the classroom, or with the girlfriend. I have people tell me all the time how frustrated they are with their moody teenagers because they can’t get their one kid to clean their rooms, be respectful, or come home at curfew. Yet we expect coaches, somehow, to get perfection out of these teenagers on the field that some parents can’t get at home. It really should be considered more of miracle working than coaching.

4) Coach’s job: focus on the team not an individual
As a parent myself, I completely understand the love for your children. And our job, as parents is to watch, cheer, and encourage your kid. But the quickest way to bring down a team is focus on one individual, even if it’s your wonderful, needs the ball every time, be the first 300 lb quarterback, child. You may not like every call the coaches make, but just know this: it’s with the team, the whole team, in mind.

5) Coaching families don’t have a lot of close friends.
Coaches have so many walls put up when it comes to relationships because people can’t separate personal life from the professional one. We have to be guarded now because we have been burned before. People want to be friends until their child sits the bench. People want to be friends until their child gets disciplined. People want to be friends until we aren’t winning anymore. Professional coaching can lead to personal loneliness.

6) Coaches are harder on themselves than you could ever be
I have been around coaches my entire life, professionally and personally. And I have never met one that wasn’t harder on themselves during a loss than anyone else. They stew over missed calls. They lose sleep over personnel changes. They watch play after play on film thinking what they could have done differently.  There is no email, phone call, or personal attack that makes a coach think “oh, I hadn’t thought about that, thanks for bringing that to my attention”, but I do know what it does make them think but I can’t write that because we love Jesus.

7) My husband cant hear anything you say from the stands, but his family can.
There is a reason that me and my kids have had to move our seats to the very top row, so we can’t hear what people say behind us. I understand sports is an emotional game but lets spread the emotion. If you are going to yell from the stands at my husband for a bad play call, I better hear you yell at your kid for missing the tackle. We are an equal opportunity team sport.

8) Coach’s wives are the best secret keepers ever
Whatever conversation you have with me in hopes that I will share with my husband will NEVER get to him! The coach’s wife is often treated like a side door into the coaches office. No, I don’t know what my husband is going to do about play time. No, I don’t know how my husband is going to handle your child missing practice. No, I don’t know why the freshman are playing more than the upperclassmen. No, I don’t know why parents aren’t aloud in the locker room on game day. And guess what? I am not going to ask him either…He’s not even going to know we had this conversation.

9) Coaching is a Calling
My husband makes $0.43 an hour for his coaching duties so we know he loves what He does because it’s not for the money. As followers of Christ, our jobs are not given to us by man but by God. As coaches we may think athletic directors, parents, or administration hold our jobs in the palms of their hands, but the truth is God in control of our path because we have submitted our calling. There are tough losses, tough seasons, and tough jobs. We may get fired from one but believe God will lead us to a different one. We know when things go good it's because of God and when things go bad, we will be ok because we have God.

10) Team is Family and Family is Team
WE believe this with everything in us. This is why we call our family Team Roberts and why we believe the team is an extension of our family. We love these kids and know that are own children really have 40 big brothers. We view coaching as a calling and the team as a family. There are no two things that will put us on our knees in prayer more than football season and family. It is every coaches heaven  that players, coaches, parents, and administration would work together to show love and respect to each other out of love and respect for God.



8 comments:

GGMorris said...

Awesome! I have been where you are sitting and your job as a wife is the hardest one ever. My husband left coaching and became a high school principal so we did not have to move again. Coaching is still where his heart is! I know you raise your kids alone on a small budget
While being watched by everyone. Hang in there and enjoy the little time you spend together!

Winter Peck said...

I was shared this post, and I couldn't have enjoyed it more! I'm actually the coach in our family and my husband is the spouse sitting on the sidelines watching. And you couldn't have said it more true, than those girl I coach become an extension to my own family.

Thank you for posting this.

Anonymous said...

As a high school football coach in the great state of Texas I appreciate this. I know people forget it, but coaching is how we feed our family. Please try to remember that before you start asking for our job when your child doesn't play.

BK said...

As a former coaches wife, each of these points are spot on! Thank you for writing this, I am passing it on to my friends who are still coaches wives.

Sad but hopeful said...

Hi. I'm engaged to a self help sort of life coach. Our relationship began on that note before it gradually transformed and I'm not sure how to have a successful relationship with him as my husband. Him being MY everything (coach, spouse, lover, best friend) is very difficult when everything I do is about my performance. I don't know where to turn for help. Any advise?

Unknown said...

Just like that...you pretty much summed up my 16 year marriage to my favorite coach of all time. ever.

We are currently in the process of "moving on" because of some of the things you mentioned in this. Somehow this article and knowing other people "get it" ease the stress of a new school for my daughter, keeping a house clean that is on the market, and being left to deal with it all while my coach goes ahead and gets things started.

As you stated above at the end of the day we can say that God is faithful and we are so blessed to have gotten to love this crazy life and to know and help so many wonderful kids!

Anonymous said...

Don't get married yet! Your comment has some warning signs - your fiance may be controlling or abusive. Please consider reaching out to a friend, family member, therapist, or impartial person you trust and tell them your concerns. Even if you are married by now, it is never too late to leave. Please take care of yourself.

MyCAA Scholarship said...

You will not know the true attitude of the person you love (fiance) unless you will live in one house, that is the reason why they are always saying that getting married is not a joke.
Military spouse tuition assistance