Monday, July 17, 2017

Failing Forward

Thomas Edison tried two thousand different materials in search of a filament for the light bulb. When none worked satisfactorily, his assistant complained, “All our work is in vain. We have learned nothing, Not sure if we can use an electricity properly.”
Edison replied very confidently, “Oh, we have come a long way and we have learned a lot. We know that there are two thousand elements which we cannot use to make a good light bulb.”
Thomas Edison was just as wise as he was brilliant. And I was always taught “We are smart if we learn from our mistakes, but we are wise if were learn from other peoples mistakes.”

There is a man we can learn from when it comes to making mistakes. Because let’s be clear, it’s not IF we make a mistake, it is WHEN we make a mistake. Peter, one of Jesus’ disciples,  was discussing what people were saying regarding who Jesus wasFinally, Jesus  said to them, “But who do You say I am?”
Peter replied, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living. God.” Matthew 16:15-16

Oh but my favorite part comes next…

Jesus replied, “You are blessed, Simon son of John, because my Father in heaven has revealed this to you. You did not learn this from any human being. Now I say to you that you are Peter (which means ‘rock’), and upon this rock I will build my church, and all the powers of hell will not conquer it. And I will give you the keys to Heaven….” Matthew 16:17-18

The moment Peter declared who Jesus was to Him (his savior and Messiah), Jesus in turn declares who Peter was in Christ (a rock, the builder of the church, a world-changer). That same Jesus is saying who you are too! Once we make a personal confession and commitment declaring who Jesus is, that same declaration can be made of you! YOU are a rock. YOU are a builder of the Kingdom. YOU are a world-changer. Don’t forget who You are in Christ. We have to keep reminding ourselves who Jesus is and he in turn will remind you who you are.

But what about when me make mistakes?

When instead of a Rock, you crumble under the pressure of being a tired mom, wife, daughter or friend?
Or you fail at building your family up each day so how can you build the Kingdom?
You fail at changing your clothes some days so whose to say you can change the world?  

If you remember, it wasn’t too long after Peters bold declaration of who Jesus was that The Rock crumbled. Not just crumbled, but crumbled under the pressure of a little girl. He literally couldn’t tell a little girl (and two other people) that Jesus is the Messiah and he was the Rock that would build Jesus’ church. He denied Jesus. He denied His own identity. He failed. He failed. And He failed again.

Did his failures change what Jesus said was his future?
Nope…God used them to shape it.

After the Resurrection, Jesus walked and talked with Peter. I can only imagine the shame, guilt, feelings of failure that Peter felt…wait, I don’t have to imagine them I have felt them, every single one of them after each one of my failures. But during this time, Jesus didn’t condemn Peter for his failures, but reminded him of his future.

Jesus: “Do you love me more than these?”
Peter: “Yes, Lord. You know I love you.”
Jesus: “Then feed my lambs.”

Jesus: “Do you love me?”
Peter: “yes, Lord. You know I love you.”
Jesus: “Then take care of my sheep”

Jesus: “Do you love me?”
Peter: “Lord, you know everything. You know I love you.”
Jesus: “Then feed my sheep.”  (John 21:15-17)

Like Edison, we will all fail. But with Jesus we will always fail forward.


Be encouraged today sweet friends!! Love and hugs to you all!!

No comments: