Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Just ROLE with it

Something you may not know about me is I have loved me some Friends TV show (and still love catching some episodes on Nickelodeon). I could quote Friends lines with the best of them and don’t get me started on the haircuts. I had every Rachel and Monica hairdo in the 90’s. One of my favorite episodes was when Monica and Phoebe want to throw Rachel a surprise birthday party. Although they were supposed to be cohosts, Monica had a little control problem and had already made all the plans. Feeling discouraged that there wasn’t anything she was in charge of, Phoebe was given the role of cups and ice. It wasn’t the role she wanted but it was the role she was given and Wow…she went all out with Cups and Ice.

You can watch the 3 minute clip here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vHOrIUKkhs

We all go through those times when we are not where want to be or in the role we think we should be. Coaches see this every season because every kid wants to be the superstar. Every kid wants their name in lights. Every kid wants the best highlight film. As much as that is frustrating to the coach, if we were to be honest, sometimes we aren’t too thrilled with the role God has given us either. Why do I have to be the one that handles all the kids’ stuff? Why am I the one that has to handle the breakdown of the car? Why am I always alone? Believe me, I get it.
 It may not be the accolades we are wanting, but it’s the affirmation we are needing.

But what about the cups and ice? Both needed but not highly respected, Oh, but with God never overlooked.  God doesn’t look for people who want the roles to build their Kingdom, but those who want roles to build His.

And in walks Nehemiah.
An unsung hero of the Bible who brought honor, humility, and revival back to the nation of God’s people and the city of Jerusalem.

His role? His job?

In those days I was the king’s cup-bearer.” Nehemiah 1:11

He was literally in charge of the Kings cup. HE WAS IN CHARGE OF THE CUPS😊 The role of a cup-bearer was to taste wine from the kings cup to insure that he would not be poisoned. Although the world may see a man that holds a cup all day, the king saw someone (a foreigner remind you) that he could trust with his life. God saw a man that took his role as cup holder seriously and came before the Lord humbly, and because of this, gave him a new role.

“They said to me, ‘Things are not going well for those who returned to Judah. They are in great trouble and disgrace. The wall of Jerusalem has been torn down, and the gates have been destroyed by fire.’ When I [Nehemiah] heard this, I sat down and wept. In fact, for days I mourned, fasted, and prayed to the God of heaven. Then I said…. (vs. 10) ‘The people you rescued by your great power and strong hand are your servants. O Lord, please hear my prayer! Listen to the prayers of those of us who delight in honoring you. Please grant me success today by making the king favorable to me. Put it into his heart to be kind to me.’”
Nehemiah 2:1 ….”I was serving the King his wine. I had never before appeared sad in his presence. So the King asked me, “Why are you looking sad….You must be deeply troubled.
Nehemiah shared with the King what happened to his city and with his people.
The King replied, “Well, how can I help you?” vs. 4
“With a prayer to the God of heaven, I replied, ‘If it pleases the King, and if you are pleased with me, your servant, send me to Judah to rebuild the city….”

And that is exactly what Nehemiah did! He wrote letters, he lead the people, and went through discouraging times, all leading to the rebuilding of the wall in only 52 days at the governments expense. He wasn’t discouraged by his previous role and wasn’t overwhelmed by his present role because His God, our God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow.  God saw He could trust Nehemiah with the small role so He entrusted him with the big one. The same God that used Nehemiah is the same God who wants to use you and me in the very roles he has given us this day. We have to stop looking to where we want to be or where we think we should be and start honoring God in the role he has us to be….right now!

I don’t know about you, I but am ready to be in charge of some cups and ice….for the Glory of God!!


Would love to know your thoughts!!

No comments: