Thursday, January 8, 2009

The NBA experience

So. . .I got a phone call from the Oklahoma City Thunder office, the new NBA team, asking if I would be willing to give the innvocation at the game this week. First of all, I didn't even know they prayed at NBA games and second of all, they are asking me? Heck yeah! That sounds like fun. He began to go over when to be there, where to go, what to wear, and "Oh, by the way you can't say the name of Jesus." As we got off the phone, I just sat there. Did he really ask me to pray and then say, but you can't say the name of Jesus. What the heck! I am 0nly able to pray to my heavenly father because of the sacrifice of Jesus. How can I pray without acknowledging HIM! I began to pray and ask God for direction. Would I say it anyway, would I just refer to God, would I refer to Jesus with another name? I honestly didn't know what I was going to do.

Why is it that we can talk about God all day long on TV, on the radio, in magazines, but the moment the name Jesus is brought up, Woah! That is going too far! As Christians, when do we get to exercise the right to free speech? Alright, Alright! I will get off my soap box for a minute and continue.

We had to show up 2 hours before game time to go through the walk through. I was kinda thinking, dude, its a prayer I do it all the time. But I went along with their show. After the walk through they gave us passes to go hang out on the court during warm-ups until I was up. The doors opened to the public an hour and half before game time and we heard the announcement, "The doors are now open, staff, please take your places." Who would show up this early? Well, there were about 12 men ranging from 30-60 who raced in to get there prime spot to get autographs. You might ask, "Did they have kids with them." And I would have to say, "No!" Just their magazines, basketball cards, balls etc. And anytime a player would walk by they would just yell at him like the player had the only cure to cancer by the touch of their pen,and if they would only sign their card, they would be cured. It was quite amusing to watch. It just made me realize the influence the athletic world has on the everyday world. It doesn't matter if you are talking the high school level, college level, or the pro-level, the athlete has more influence than any other person in the school or professional world. That is why I do what I do so that I can help use the platform of athletics for Jesus Christ.

Well, here was a platform. . .What did I do you ask? I walked out to center court, closed my eyes, and let God to the rest. I prayed to my heavenly father and asked those things in "the name above all names, Amen!" Right or Wrong, God heard my prayer through the relationship that I have with the name above all names, Jesus Christ!

Have a super day!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Never been to an NBA game, but I know at the hundred or so MLB games that I've attended it's the adults that are screaming at the players wanting every bit of attention for an autograph. It bothers me when these so called fans (overzealous adults) are pushing kids out of the way so they can get the 20 second attention of a professional athlete. It's even worse when an adult shoves a kid out of the way to get a flyball that was headed directly to the kid, catches it, & then has the nerve to smile at the kid as if saying - stinks to be you.

Glad to hear you made it through the prayer with God's guidance. He doesn't disappoint!