Monday, August 24, 2009

Anniversary



August 24, 1969-This was the day my parents said their wedding vows. Yep-40 years ago today my parents stood before their friends and family and vowed they would stay together-for better or worse, in sickness and in health, for richer or poor, til death do them part-and they have. My parents gave me a lot of gifts over the years from cabbage patch kids to bicycles to basketball goals and so on, but the greatest gift they have ever given me was the example they set on having a godly marriage and keeping those vows they said at the age of 19 and 21. Has their marriage been easy-no! My dad served in the Navy and was gone for months at a time, they have taken care of sick parents in their own home, and have dealt with my mom's own cancer battles. These are just 3 of the obstacles they dealt with in their marriage-the point is they dealt with them together. My dad was the spiritual leader in our house that lead the prayers, sunday school lessons, and FCA groups. My mom was the "behind the scenes" servant that made us all look good. Without a doubt, my parents were the ultimate team. My dad was coaching-my mom was cheering. My dad was teaching-my mom was serving. My dad was leading-my mom was following.
So, to my mom and dad: Thank you! It is my prayer that Chris and I are able to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary with as much dignity, grace, and love that you all have shown to each other.
And to you, reading this blog I would love to be able to pray for your marriage so if you have anything specific I can be praying about for you and your husband-please let me know. I have a passion to see marriages thrive-yours and mine!

No comments: