Thursday, July 10, 2008

Trophy wife?

As I was praying and trying to figure out the next step in what God wanted me to do I asked God to give me a name to call this blog ministry. You see, my heart and passion is the family: mine and yours. I want to see families thrive in their relationships with each other and Christ and so when God awoke me in the middle of the night to give the answer: Trophy wife, I was a little confused. Why trophy wife? I can be a very stubborn woman and yes, I asked the creator of the universe, "are you sure?" "Isn't that degrading or insulting to women" I am not anybody's trophy wife!" After I threw my 30 year old temper tantrum, my gracious, patient heavenly father whispered "be still and listen." And then he began to show me what he meant by trophy wife, not as the world would see, but as the Creator of the Universe sees it. We are going to put an entirely different spin on the phrase "Trophy wife." First of all, when you are married to player or coach, your husband's goals are much different that the rest of the world's goals. They are not trying to get a promotion each year, they aren't trying to reach the top of the corporate ladder or trying to impress the big boss man. No, their goals are much different. Their goals include bringing together an entire team that is made up of kids who are raising their siblings because they don't have 1 or both parents at home, kids who are struggling with the temptations of this world (drugs, alcohol, sex etc.), and kids who have few influential role models in their life, and get these kids to play together to win one thing each year: Trophy. The trophy: the most prized and coveted possession of a coach or player of sports. Although we are not called to be a possession by any means we are called to be someone our husband cherishes, adores,and pursues. Proverbs 31 is best known for the Proverbs 31 woman: the woman that every Christian woman wants to attain. I believe the Proverbs 31 woman showed me we are more than a trophy, we are wives. Proverbs 31 10-12 says, "A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies (or trophies:) ) Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. She brings him good and not harm, all the days of her life." This wife scripture talks about has character, integrity, strength, and is worth more to her husband than any trophy. OK, God, I get it (sometimes it takes me awhile) "More than a trophy, wife."Continuing on in verse 28 it says, "Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: 'Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.' " Wow!! wouldn't we all like to hear those words from our husbands. That is the ideal compliment! As we continue on this adventure you may be thinking "our marriage doesn't look anything like that." You may not even like your husband right now and your marriage may be hanging on by a thread. You may completely resent your husbands profession and ready to hang it up. God wants to talk to you!!! I would ask you one favor: join me as God works in you! God can transform and make any heart come after His. Promise me you will stay with me and above all:Pray, pray, and Pray. If I can pray for you in any way please let me know! Until next time. . .

No comments: