Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Best supporting wife goes to. . .

Best supporting wife goes to. . .
Shouldn't there be an award like this. We all get dressed up with our new gown that was given (key word:given) to us by Versace, and the big diamond necklace from Tiffanys, and our husbands walking us down the isle. All because it is our night-our night to be recognized for the late nights driving home from games with two kids conked out in the backseat with something from the consession stand still stuck on their face, all the baths, meals, homework we do. . .alone, all while being mom, #1 fan, cheerleader, counselor, assistant coach, and sounding board for both husband and disgruntled parents. Yes, there should be an award for best supporting role, but even if there were, I would definetly not get it, not even nominated. Yes, I still do the role, but the difference is I don't always do it joyfully. A lot of the time I am pouting, angry, resentful, and yes, sometimes even jealous. "I am doing all the work at home so that you can get all the limelight in the public." Where's my reward, where's my trophy."

I have a great friend who gave me some sermons to listen to and there was one that really spoke to me. It was on the supporting role. It used the story of David, Saul, and Jonathon found in 1 Samuel 17 and going through the rest of the book. After David killed Goliath, King Saul brought him to the palace and eventually put David in charge of the army, gave him one of his daughters, and made him a very wealthy man. The people loved David and even sang songs about him, but there was one song the people sang that King Saul didn't like. The lyrics were "Saul has killed thousands, but David has killed tens of thousands." We find that King Saul was so jealous and resented the fact that David was getting all the attention, but Jonathon, King Saul's son was an amazing supporting role for David. He helped him escape from Saul, gave him his own armour, and was an amazing supporting role to help make David all that God wanted him to be. Isn't that our job as wives, helping make our husbands all that God has called him to be. We have to ask ourselves are we being Saul or are we being Jonathan.

One of my favorite stories is of former President Bush and his wife Barbara. They had stopped to get gas and the President went in to pay and while he was in there he noticed Barbara was having quite a conversation with the gas attendant. He questioned her about it when they were back on the road. He said, "you really acted like you knew that guy." She replied, "You will never believe, that was my high school boyfriend." The President chuckled and said, "Just think, you could have married that guy." And without missing a beat she replied, "Yes, and would have been President." I love that story because she knew her supporting role helped make him what and who he was.

Your supporting role helps make your husband who and what he is. We talked about there may be some of you who don't like your husbands, they don't help out when they are home, they don't give you or your children the attention like he gives his own players, but before we can deal with the lead role in this story we have to look at the supporting role: us! First, our #1 role is to Shut up and pray for your husband:Pray, pray, pray!!!!!!

We try and try to change the man by going to the man when we should be going to the one who created him. I learned this from experience and what I found was not only did God change the heart of my husband, but He changed my heart as well. I had nagged my husband forever about dipping. We got into some of the biggest fights on the subject. Finally, I realized my yelling and words weren't getting through so I committed to pray and pray and pray until one day my husband was leaving for school and he said, "Just wanted to let you know I have quit dipping and I may need your help." Are you kidding me? I didn't say a word, but my heavenly father did! Your prayer might be for him to spend more time with the family:PRAY. Or maybe to help more around the house:PRAY! Or maybe to appreciate you:PRAY!!! Scripture tells us "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything with prayer and petition present your requests to God, with thanksgving."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sara,

I think you are great, and I think we all have ultimately the same feelings in SO many ways!!!

Teanne