Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Encouragement to you

Hello Friends,



I can call you my friends because we already have an instant connection. Sports! If you are not at a game you are preparing for a game and if you are not preparing for the game, you are talking about the game, and if you are not talking about the game, you are thinking about the game. It doesn't matter if you are in your husband's season or not: There is no off season!



I wanted to address a comment from a coaches wife that is so true, but the desperation in her heart pierced mine. She commented, "I once had a parent tell me that it is just a GAME. I turned and started crying. It's not "just a game," it's our life. It's whether I get to stay in my house one more year. It's whether I get to keep my job, or move my family, or leave my friends. It's NOT just a game for any of us." There is so much truth to these statements, but one of the things I found most intriguing was not the desperation in her words but the devotion to her husband and her family. Even though we are devoted to our husbands this is a hard profession for the exact reasons she mentioned. The thing I want to encourage each of you is, though it looks like our husband's profession is the hands of teenagers, parents, and/or administrators we need to be reminded (myself included) it doesn't! Where we live, where we coach is in the hands of the God Almighty! The bible says in Proverbs 21:30, "There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord." As Christ followers, God's plan includes your family! What the enemy means for harm, God will always make good come out of it somehow. How awesome is that! We have been given the promise that "He works all things to the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose." That includes losing seasons, disgruntled parents, uncooperative adminstrations.

Be encouraged, God is your offensive coordinator. He is in the booth able to see things we can not see on the field. He is in control!!!!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Sarah - I've been reading your blog for a few weeks & really enjoy it. I used to be jr. high girls basketball & volleyball coach until adopting my daughter. Now, I'm just a fan of sports. Anyway, I understand how hard it is to be a coach's spouse &/or child. Just wanted to ask a favor. Gunner Gillespie, an 8 year old from Marshall County, KY, died this afternoon from an inoperable brain tumor. His father Gus is a high school basketball coach. Would you please keep their family in your prayers? The season is getting ready to start & as you know, coaching takes you away from your family quite often. Any prayers would be appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah! A friend just sent me your link to your blog--what an unexpected blessing!
Thanks for the ministry you have here on the blog.
I'll be keeping up with you and your family from now on.
My husband is a head HS football coach now in MS...but we have been in Texas, Louisiana, and Alabama too. My blog is: www.footballandsweettea.blogspot.com
but it's private so if you'd like to view then send me an email at eljdawgster@gmail.com
and I'll add you as a reader :)

We are both Christians and certainly understand this is our ministry. I stay at home now with our just turned 1 year old son, but I have coached too on the collegiate level in Texas.

Anyway--enough of us. Thans for your last post. I showed it to my husband, and he was encouraged to before he left for the day.

Thanks again and congratulations on #3...that's so amazing. our God is good...Elizabeth Williams
(Gulf Coast, Mississippi)

PS- My husband and I are good friends with CT Steckel (the son of the FCA President) Do you work at the corporate office?