Friday, August 19, 2011

Let's Talk about It

As far as I can remember, my mouth has gotten me in a lot of trouble. From the time I was 10 years old and I lied to my father about my coaching calling and cancelling softball practice so I could go to the movies to the time I was 25 years old and said some pretty ugly words to a parent in the stands of one of my husband's games, and yes, everything in between...gossip, criticism, inappropriate speech, flattering, complaining, exaggerating, bragging, resentment etc. I would say my mouth is my greatest gift and is also my worst enemy. We as women, in general, use our words to fight battles instead of our fists. The Bible says it this way...."Sometimes it praises our Lord and Father and sometimes it curses those who have been made in the image of God." James 3:9 The same mouth that we praise and worship God, himself, is the same mouth that tears down the very people that God, himself, created. If the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil (1 Timothy 6:10), I would argue a close second are the words that are spoken from our mouth.
Psychologists say that women speak double the words of that of men each day. The question is how are we using those words? It would be awesome if we were using them to doubly encourage one another, or doubly speak truth, but unfortunately I do not believe that is the case.
God has really working on me in this area especially when I read this:
"Indeed, we all make mistakes. For if we could control our tongue, we would be perfect and could also control ourselves in every way." James 3:2
Wow...if we could control our tongues we would then be able to control ourselves in every other way to, leading a life we all want...perfection.
HOW?
1) Simply shut up:)
I say that with all the love in my heart...really! Proverbs 10:19 says, "Too much talk leads to sin. Be sensible and keep your mouth shut." When you want to criticize, keep your mouth shut. When you want to lie, keep your mouth shut. When you want to gossip, keep your mouth shut.
2) When you Speak, let your words praise God and Man (or woman)
There will be times when you will need to speak up: "A time to speak up and a time to be quiet (Eccl.3) But when we do..."Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear him." Ephesians 4:9 When you want to boast, boast in how great God is. When you want to complain, praise. When you want to be resentful, be grateful.
3) PRAY, PRAY, PRAY
We are not able to this on our own. It goes against our natural instincts, our fleshly desires. Believe me I know how hard this is...I am a coaches wife. But I also know I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength...including controlling my tongue. I want to be different than the world. I want to handle things different in the world. I want to be Christ like!
Will you join me? Will you join me in this fight to encourage one another...no matter what?
To God be the Glory:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your insight, as always, i learn something! Hugs