Wednesday, September 3, 2008

We are one

So. . .we had a coaches wives nite out for the schools in the Oklahoma City Metro area. I started this last year and has really went over well. So to all my girls-love you! We meet quarterly and eat, have some fun, have a devotion and pray for each other and our husbands. These ladies are just amazing and I love our time together. We met for the first time of the year and you could definitely tell what wives were wives of football coaches. We were all in "game time" mode. The chatter among dinner was "so who do you all open up with this week?" "Do you all fill good about this year?" The usual coaches wives talk the week of opening day. After much laughter, the devotion and prayer time we all went on our ways knowing that this time next week there were probably going to be some husbands who won and some who did not. And I couldn't help my mind from going back and remembering the beginning of each football season, the fear of the unknown. What did the season have in store for us this year.

We are in our 8th year of coaching and I love being a coaches wife. I wouldn't have always described being a coaches wife with the word love. I am still learning. I had to learn to love being a coaches wife when we didn't have kids and then again when we did have kids. It was during one of these learning experiences God used the story of Job to teach me a valuable lesson about marriage. If you look at the story of Job it is not really your typical marriage story, but that is when God is at His best. In the story of Job starting in Chapter 1 you find that God and Satan are having a conversation (if I could have only been a fly on that wall) and Job, a servant of God, comes up in their conversation. Satan tells God that the only reason Job is a servant of God is because God has given him everything he could want. God tells Satan that he can do whatever it wants to Job, but he can't lay a finger on the man himself. Tragically we learn that Job's sons and daughters were killed, his servants killed, and his lifestock killed. The lesson comes from when we hear from Job's wife in chapter 2. His wife says,"Why do you insist on keeping your integrity, curse God and die." I ask the question, "Why is she still alive? Why was she not killed with the rest of the family?" I would argue that she was not killed because God did not view her as a part of Jobs' family, but as a part of the man himself. When God says as husband and wife, "we are one", He means we are ONE!

Coaching isn't just what our husband does, it is a part of who he is. And if coaching is part of who he is I had to learn to make it part of who I am too, after all, we are one. We win as a family and we lose as a family. As a trophy wife, that trophy is just as much ours as it is our husbands!And I don't know about you but I love gold just a much as the next girl:) Til, next time. . .

No comments: