Monday, September 15, 2008

Tough game

First of all, I want to say thank you so much for your comments. Oh please keep sending them. It encourages me to know I am not alone in this adventure of the coaching profession.

I write today with a somewhat heavy heart. We had our game last Friday and lets just say it was a slaughter and we were the pig. Although I do not like losing that is not the reason for my heavy heart. The heaviness comes from the fact that there are some parents who are quite upset with the coaching staff which includes my husband. Now, I am somewhat used to this phenomenon or at least as used to it as you can be. But what I am not used to, is the fact that it is friends of ours. On one hand, I understand that it is personal because after all it is their son and my son is only 4 so I have never been their shoes. On the other hand, it is personal to me because this is my husband and it breaks my heart that football comes between friends when it shouldn't! They know my husband's heart. They know how hard he works. They know how much time he spends away from his own family. I just don't get it. Maybe someone can enlighten me. It's no wonder that coaches have so many walls built up around them and dont want to trust anybody. And I realize now more than ever that our husbands need us. They need encouragement, they need prayer, they need love, they need support, they need validation, and they need a friend-YOU!!

This actually reminds me of the second lesson God taught me in the story of Job. If you remember, Job's wife said to him, "Why do you insist on keeping your integrity. Curse God and die." Wow! Kick a man while he is down. He just lost his children, servants, everything he owns and that is the best she could come up with. As I reflect on this woman's harsh words I was reminded of how many times I myself have spoke equally harsh words and sometimes those harsh words came when he was down. Our husbands are torn down everyday by other people's harsh words they don't need them from us! Scripture tells us in Ephesians 4:29, "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." ACCORDING TO THEIR NEEDS, and our husbands need wholesome talk in their lives. Is this always easy?No! And believe me I
still fail miserably, but I am getting better and you can too!

As for these parents, what I would like to do is drive over to their house and defend my husband, but our spiritual enemy would like nothing more for that to happen so what do I do:PRAY!! Pray for them, pray for us! And above all: stand on the promises of God! I found this verse for all the trophy wives who go through times like these: "Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him standing firm in the faith. because you know that your brothers (sisters) throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings." 1 Peter 5:8-9

Until next time. . .

3 comments:

Chaneyg said...

Excellent work my friend!

shawnandjill said...

I know exactly how you feel. My husband is the boys basketball coach at a high school in Edmond. Being a coaches' wife can be very lonely at times. You are so right that our husbands do need us to build them up and encourage them, but I am also thankful that there are people who can encourage the wives as well! Not many people can understand what we go through night in and night out, listening to our husbands be criticized when they put in hundreds of hours a week caring for someone else's kids! Thank you for your ministry. It means a lot!

tdandboys said...
This comment has been removed by the author.