Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Life's Questions

As I said before I work for the Fellowship of Christian Athletes in Oklahoma. My ministry includes female coaches, female athletes, and coaches wives. And this blog entry has to do with two encounters I had with both a coaches wife and a female coach. The first encounter was in the kitchen of a fellow coaches wife. There were three of us who had gotten together so our kids could play while our husbands took their annual fishing trip. While we were chatting over kids, husbands, and jobs one of the wives brought up a situation at her work. This particular coaches wife is a nurse and she had a nurse she worked with that was pregnant and was told her baby had spina bifida. As imagined they were devastated, but they began preparing for life with a special needs baby. In the midst of their preparation they had family members telling them that by preparing for the special needs baby they didn't have enough faith because if they believed enough, God would heal the baby. As my friend was telling us this story I could tell where it was going and was honestly dreading the question. . .And here it comes. . ."So do you believe that?" I dreaded the question because as a person in ministry you feel as though you should have the answers, and I think on some level others think the same thing. Well, we don't. not even close. As I fumbled through some answer I never forgot the question.

Well, the question came back this week with the encounter with my female coach. This coach has fought an amazing brave battle with colon cancer for 6 years while coaching, while teaching, while being an amazing wife, and while raising 4 kids.And just found out it has returned with a vengenance in her lungs this time. I never have seen her waver in her faith or trust in God. My heart has just broke for this family because I know there is no lack of faith so why is God not answering our prayers. I know he can-He's God. He can do anything. Maybe you have had those same thoughts and feelings. Whether it be with prayers for a sick loved one, prayers for a changed husband, or prayers for a job change. So what is the answer. Well, after this question has lingered God showed me a story that helped me so maybe it can help you.

The lesson came from Matthew 8:1-3 "And behold a leper came to him and knelt before him, saying, "Lord if you will, you can make me clean. And Jesus stretched out his hand a touched him, saying, "I will: be clean." And immediately his leprosy was cleansed. The key statement is: "Lord if you will, you can make me clean." Not can you-not indicating a lack of faith. We know he can do anything-but sometimes he chooses not to. For some reasons He says "I will" and for others for reasons we may never understand he says "I will not." Even though we don't know why we have to trust in the character of God that he does "everything to the good of those who love him and are called according to his purpose."(Romans 8:28) Even the "will nots." I will continue to pray for a miracle for Shena, but I know whether he heals her or not it as nothing to do with a lack of faith.
Til next time. . .

No comments: